You are here
Dr. Guodong “David” Liu
|Office:||1229 Fifield Hall|
For more information, visit Dr. Liu's website.
Areas of Research
- Nutrient eco-management vs. environmental sustainability
- Nutrient stewardship for vegetable and fruit production
- Oxygen fertilization vs. hypoxic stresses
- Identification of N- and P-efficient genotypes from crop germplasm banks
- Ph.D. – Physiology and Genetics of Plant Nutrition, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
- M.S. – Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China
- B.S. – Crop Science, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China
- HOS 6412 - Advanced Nutrition of Horticultural Crops, graduate students, coordinator and instructor
- HOS3430C - Nutrition of Horticultural Crops, Lab, undergraduate students, coordinator and instructor
- HOS 4283C - Advanced Organic and Sustainable Crop Production, undergraduate students, Nutrient Use Efficiency vs. BMPs in Florida, Guest Lecturer
- Educational programs on vegetable and fruit crop nutrition
- Provide support to county and regional extension agents
- Interact with extension faculty and industry members via demonstration research, publications, presentations and training activities
Work and International Experiences
- Assistant Professor, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2011 – present)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, USDA-ARS, Prosser, WA (2010 – 2011)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, Homestead, FL (2004 – 2010)
- Visiting Scientist, University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO (2002 – 2004)
- Visiting Scholar, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA (May 2001)
- Agriculture Consultant, The Overseas Projects Corporation of Victoria Ltd (OPCV), Australia (June-August, 2001)
- Visiting Scholar, AgResearch Grasslands Research Center, Palmerston North, New Zealand (March-June, 1999; April – June, 2000)
- Agronomy Consultant, United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the United Nations (November-December, 1999)
- Agronomy Consultant, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and World Food Program (WFP), the United Nations (November 1997 – March 1998)
- Agronomy Consultant, IFAD and WFP, the United Nations (November 1996 – January 1997)
- Associate Professor and Professor, the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China (1995 – 2002)
Honors and Awards
- Sadler Distinguished Extension Professional and Enhancement Award. University of Florida / IFAS Extension.2014
- Science Leader in Agriculture for the 21st Century, the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China, from 1999 to 2006
From left: Yuqi, Yang, Yucong, myself, Danyang, Fupeng, Xiangju, Kshitij, Dario, and Tanumoy in fall 2015
From left: Fupeng, Yan, Zhongdong, Qasim, Yuqi, Moshe, Yang, Danyang and myself before Christmas 2014
From left: Tao, Yuqi, Moshe, Xiaolin, myself, Yang, Zhongdong, and Danyang in 2014
From Left: Yiping, Emily, Brett, Ben, David, Derly, and Vicky in 2103
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Dr. Muhammad Shahid
- Xiaolin Liao, Ben Hogue, Shouliang Zhu, Zhaohui Tong, Guodong Liu and Yuncong Li, 2016. Using Bioethanol Wastes as an Alternative Phosphorus Source for Snap Bean and Radish Production. American Journal of Environmental Sciences 12(1):1-7.
- Qasim A. Thani, Bruce Schaffer, G.D. Liu, Ana I. Vargas, Jonathan H. Crane. 2016. Chemical oxygen fertilization reduces stress and increases recovery and survival of flooded papaya (Carica papaya L.) plants. Scientia Horticulturae 202: 173-183..
- L.R. Rens, L. Zotarelli, A. Alva, D.L.Rowland, G.D. Liu, K.T. Morgan. 2016. Fertilizer Nitrogen Uptake Efficiencies for Potato as Influenced by Application Timing. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems (in press).
- Qifa ZHOU, Benjamin A. HOUGE, Zhaohui TONG, Bin GAO, and G.D. Liu. 2016. An in-situ Technique for Producing Low-Cost Agricultural Biochar. Pedosphere (in press)
- Xiaolin Liao, Zhihua Su, G.D. Liu, Lincoln Zotarelli, Yuqi Cui, Crystal Snodgrass. 2016. Impact of soil moisture and temperature on potato production using seepage and center pivot irrigation. Agricultural Water Management 165(1): 230-236. DOI: 10.1016/j.agwat.2015.10.023.
- Sun Qian, Weimin Ding, Yuncong Li, G.D. Liu, Jiuai Sun & Qishuo Ding. 2015. Characterization of Humic Acids Derived From Leonardite Using a Solid-State NMR Spectrocopy and Effects of Humic Acids on Growth and Nutrient Uptake of Snap Bean. Chemical Speciation & Bioavailability 27(4): 156-161.
- Liao, X., G.D. Liu, Benjamin Hogue, and Yuncong Li. 2015. Phosphorus Availability and Environmental Risk in Potato Fields in North Florida. Soil Use and Management 31(2): 308-312.
- Liu, G.D., K. Morgan, B. Hogue, Y.C. Li, D. Sui. 2015. Improving Phosphorus Use efficiency for Snap Bean Production by optimizing Application Rate. Horticultural Science 42: 94-101.
- Fred Fishel and G.D. Liu. 2014. Conducting a Statewide Dual-Purpose Program for Pesticide Applicators and County Extension Agents. Journal of Extension 52(5): 1-6.
- Letian Wang*, Zhaohui Tong, G.D. Liu, Yuncong Li. 2014. Characterization of Biorefinery Residues Used as Sandy Soil Amendments. Chemosphere 107: 354-359.
- Liu, G.D., D. Marshall Porterfield. 2014. Oxygen enrichment with magnesium peroxide for minimizing hypoxic stress of flooded corn. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 177: 733-740.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2014. Comparing Gibbs Energy Relationships for Ammonia Volatilizations from Agricultural Soils for Potato Production. American Journal of Environmental Sciences 10(1): 19-25.
- W.C. Lee, G.D. Liu and Ashok Alva. 2013. Potato Cultivar Evaluation for Phosphorus-Use Efficiency.Journal of Crop Improvement 27(5): 617-626.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li,K. Migliaccio, T. Olczyk,A. K. Alva. 2013. Oxygen Fertilization improves Growth and Nitrogen-Use Efficiency of Flooded Italian Basil (Ocimum Basilicum L.). International Journal of Vegetable Science. 19 (3): 217-227.
- Johannes M.S. Scholberg, Lincoln Zotarelli, Michael D. Dukes, Monica Ozores-Hampton; G.D. Liu, Pablo Tittonell. 2013. Enhancing Fertilizer Efficiency in High Input Cropping Systems in Florida. Sustainable Agriculture Review 12: 143 - 174.
- Liu, G.D., D. Marshall Porterfield, Y.C. Li,and Waldemar Klassen. 2012. Increased Oxygen Bioavailability Improved Vigor and Germination of Aged Vegetable Seeds. HortScience 47(12): 1714-1721.
- Liu, G.D.,Y.C. Li, A. K. Alva, D. M. Porterfield, andJ. Dunlop. 2012. Enhancing nitrogen efficiency of potato and cereal crops by optimizing temperature, moisture, balanced nutrients, and oxygen bioavailability. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 35:428–411, 2012.
- Liu, G.D.,Y.C. Li, andA. K. Alva. 2011. Identification of factors most important for ammonia emission from fertilized soils for potato production using principal component analysis. Journal of Sustainable Watershed Science and Management - ISSN 1949-1425. 1: 21-30.
- Liu, G. D.,Y. C. Li, R. Muñoz-Carpena, M. Hedgepeth, Y. S. Wan, And R. Roberts. 2011. Growth of Bald Cypress [Taxodium Distichum (L.) Rich.] Seedlings in the Tidal Floodplain of The Loxahatchee River. Florida Scientist. 74: 84- 99.
- Liu, G.D., B. Gu, S.L. Miao, Y.C. Li, K.W. Miliaccio, and Y. Qian. 2010. Phosphorus release from ash and remaining tissues of two wetland species after a prescribed fire. Journal of Environmental Quality. 39:1585–1593.
- Y. Ouyang, J. E. Zhang, D. Lin and G.D. Liu. 2010. A STELLA model for the estimation of atrazine runoff, leaching, adsorption, and degradation from an agricultural land.Journal of Soils and Sediments 10: 263-271.
- Liu, G.D., D. M. Porterfield, and Y.C. Li. 2009. Genotypic differences in K-efficiency of three-way cross hybrid indica rice. Communications in Soil Sciences and Plant Analysis. 40: 1803-1821. Available Online at: http://pdfserve.informaworld.com/327868_731558421_912057775.pdf
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, M. Hedgepeth, Y. Wan and R.E. Roberts. 2009. Seed germination enhancement for bald cypress (Taxodium distichum [L.] Rich.). J. Horticulture and Forestry 1(2):22-26.
- Liu, G.D., J. Dunlop, T. Phung, and Y. C. Li. 2007. Physiological Responses of Wheat Phosphorus-efficient and -inefficient Genotypes in Field and Effects of Mixing Other Nutrients on Mobilization of Insoluble Phosphates in Hydroponics. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 38: 2239-2256.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. High water regime can reduce ammonia volatilization from soils. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 38: 1203-1220. DOI: 10.1080/00103620701328289.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. Moisture Quotients for Ammonia Volatilization from Four Soils in Potato Production Regions. Water, Air & Soil Pollution. 183: 115-127. DOI: 10.1007/s11270-007-9361-9.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. Temperature quotients of ammonia emission of different nitrogen sources applied to four agricultural soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 71:1482-1489. DOI: 10.2136/sssaj2006.0221.
- Liu, G.D., Dunlop James and Phung Thai. 2006. Induction of Root Hair Growth in a Phosphorus-Buffered Culture Solution. Agricultural Sciences in China. 5: 370-376.
- Liao, J., G.D. Liu, and O. Monje and D. M. Porterfield. 2004. Induction of hypoxic root metabolism results from physical limitations in O2 bioavailability in mircogravity. Advances in Space Research. 34: 1579-1584.
- Yucong Xie, Guodong Liu, Yuncong Li, and Kati Migliaccio. 2016. Luffa—an Asian Vegetable Emerging in Florida. #HS1285.http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1285
- Liu, G.D., Yuncong Li, and Xiangju Fu. 2015. Practices to Minimize Flooding Damage to Commercial Vegetable Production. Publication #: SL 206. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss425
- Liu, G.D., Yuncong Li, David Dinkins, Bonnie Wells, Qingren Wang, and Yuqi Cui. 2015. Long Squash – An Asian Vegetable Emerging in Florida. Publication #: HS 1272. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1272.
- Liu, G.D., Qingren Wang, Yuncong Li, David Dinkins, Bonnie Wells, and Yuqi Cui. 2015. Bitter melon – an Asian vegetable emerging in Florida. Publication #: HS 1271. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1271.
- Qingren Wang, G.D. Liu, Kelly Morgan, Yuncong Li. 2015. Implementing Four Rs (4Rs) in Nutrient Stewardship for Tomato Production. Publication #: HS 1269. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1269.
- Khatri, K., G.D. Liu, Qingren Wang, Yuncong Li, David Dinkins, and Bonnie Wells. 2015. Long Bean – An Asian Vegetable Emerging in Florida. Publication #: HS 1268. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1268.
- Liu, G.D., Kelly Morgan, Yuncong Li, Lincoln Zotarelli, James DeValerio, and Qingren Wang. 2015. What is 4R nutrient stewardship? Publication #: HS 1264. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1264
- Liu, G.D., L. Zotarelli, Y. Li, D. Dinkins, Q. Wang, and M. Ozores-Hampton. 2014. Controlled-release and slow-release fertilizers as nutrient management tools. Publication #: HS 1255. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1255
- Liu, G.D., R. Mylavarapu, E. Hanlon, and gW.C. Lee. 2014. Soil pH Management for Optimum Commercial Fruit Production in Florida. Publication #: HS 1234. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1234.
- Liu, G.D., and J. Williamson. 2013. What is urea-triazone nitrogen? Publication #: HS 1233. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1233.
- Liu, G.D., M. Ozores-Hampton, G. McAvoy, fB. Hogue, and C. Snodgrass. 2013. Application of surfactants in commercial crop production for water and nutrient management in sandy soil. Publication #: HS 1230. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1230
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. Gazula. 2013. Conversions of parts per million on soil test reports to lb/acre. Publication #: HS 1229. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1229
- Liu, G.D., E. Hanlon, and Y.C. Li. 2012. Understanding and applying chelated fertilizers effectively based on soil pH. Publication #: HS 1208. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1208
- Liu, G.D. and E. Hanlon. 2012. Soil pH range for optimum commercial vegetable production. Publication #: HS 1207. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1207
- Liu, G.D. and G. McAvoy. 2012. How to reduce clogging problems in fertigation. Publication #: HS 1202. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1202
- Liu, G.D., D. Sui, and G.K. England. 2012. How to convert liquid fertilizer into dry fertilizer in fertigation for commercial vegetable and fruit crop production. Publication #: HS 1200. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1200
- Liu, G.D., J. Williamson, G. England, and A. Whidden. 2012. How to calculate fertigation injection rates for commercial blueberry production. Publication #: HS 1197. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1197
- Liu,G.D., David Sui, and Gary K. England. 2012.How to Convert Liquid Fertilizer into Dry Fertilizer in Fertigation for Commercial Vegetable and Fruit Crop Production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1200
- Liu,G.D., Jeffrey Williamson, Gary England, and Alicia Whidden. 2012. How to Calculate Fertigation Injection Rates for Commercial Blueberry production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1197
- Asha M. Brunings, G.D. Liu, Eric H. Simonne, Shouan Zhang, Yuncong Li, and Lawrence E. Datnoff. 2012. Are Phosphorous and Phosphoric Acids Equal PhosphorusSources for Plant Growth?http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs254
- G. D. Liu,E. H. Simonne, and G.J. Hochmuth. 2012. Soil and Fertilizer Management for Vegetable Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv101
- M.D. Dukes, L. Zotarelli, G.D. Liu, and E.H. Simonne. 2012. Principles and Practices of Irrigation Management for Vegetables. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv107
- Liu, G.D., E.H. Simonne, and Y.C. Li. 2011. Nickel Nutrition of Plants. Publication #: HS 1191. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1191
- Liu,G.D., Eric H. Simonne, Yuncong Li, Chad M. Hutchinson, Mark Warren and Steven Lands. 2011. Controlled-Release Fertilizer Opportunities and Costs for Potato Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs187