|Office:||1229 Fifield Hall|
For more information, visit Dr. Liu's website.
Areas of Research
- Nutrient eco-management vs. environmental sustainability
- Nutrient stewardship of vegetable and fruit crops
- Ph.D. – Physiology and Genetics of Plant Nutrition, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
- M.S. – Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China
- B.S. – Crop Science, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China
- HOS 6412 - Advanced Nutrition of Horticultural Crops, graduate students, team coordinator and instructor
- HOS3430C - Nutrition of Horticultural Crops, undergraduate students, team instructor
- HOS 4283C - Advanced Organic and Sustainable Crop Production, undergraduate students, Nutrient Use Efficiency vs. BMPs in Florida, Guest Lecturer
- Educational programs on vegetable and fruit crop nutrition
- Provide support to county and regional extension agents
- Interact with extension faculty and industry members via demonstration research, publications, presentations and training activities
Work and International Experiences
- Assistant Professor, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2011 – present)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, USDA-ARS, Prosser, WA (2010 – 2011)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, Homestead, FL (2010 – 2011)
- Visiting Scientist, University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO (2002 – 2004)
- Visiting Scholar, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA (May 2001)
- Agriculture Consultant, The Overseas Projects Corporation of Victoria Ltd (OPCV), Australia (June-August, 2001)
- Visiting Scholar, AgResearch Grasslands Research Center, Palmerston North, New Zealand (March-June, 1999; April – June, 2000)
- Agronomy Consultant, United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the United Nations (November-December, 1999)
- Agronomy Consultant, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and World Food Program (WFP), the United Nations (November 1997 – March 1998)
- Agronomy Consultant, IFAD and WFP, the United Nations (November 1996 – January 1997)
- Associate Professor and Professor, the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China (1995 – 2002)
Honors and Awards
- Science Leader in Agriculture for the 21st Century, the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China, from 1999 to 2006
From left: Tao, Yuqi, Moshe, Xiaolin, myself, Yang, Zhongdong, and Danyang in 2014
From Left: Yiping, Emily, Brett, Ben, David, Derly, and Vicky in 2103
|Biologist||M.S. Student||Ph.D. Student|
Qasim Awlad Thani
Qian (Wendy) Sun
|Postdoctoral Research Associate||Postdoctoral Research Associate||Ph.D. Student|
|Former Visiting scientist||Former Visiting scientist||Former Biologist|
Derly José Henriques da Silva
|Former Biologist||Former Graduate Student||Former Graduate Student|
Wei Chieh (Vicky) Lee
|Former Student intern||Former Student intern||Former Student intern|
|Former Student intern|
Yingxuan (Emily) Li
|Former Horticultural Assistant|
Luis Fernando Polete
- Letian Wang*, Zhaohui Tong, G.D. Liu, Yuncong Li. 2014. Characterization of Biorefinery Residues Used as Sandy Soil Amendments. Chemosphere 107: 354-359
- Liu, G.D., D. Marshall Porterfield. 2014. New Strategies for Minimizing Influences of Flooding on Corn (Zea mays) with Magnesium Peroxide. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science (accepted).
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2014. Comparing Gibbs Energy Relationships for Ammonia Volatilizations from Agricultural Soils for Potato Production. American Journal of Environmental Sciences 10(1): 19-25.
- W.C. Lee, G.D. Liu and Ashok Alva. 2013. Potato Cultivar Evaluation for Phosphorus-Use Efficiency.Journal of Crop Improvement 27(5): 617-626.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li,K. Migliaccio, T. Olczyk,A. K. Alva. 2013. Oxygen Fertilization improves Growth and Nitrogen-Use Efficiency of Flooded Italian Basil (Ocimum Basilicum L.). International Journal of Vegetable Science. 19 (3): 217-227
- Johannes M.S. Scholberg, Lincoln Zotarelli, Michael D. Dukes, Monica Ozores-Hampton; G.D. Liu, Pablo Tittonell. 2013. Enhancing Fertilizer Efficiency in High Input Cropping Systems in Florida. Sustainable Agriculture Review 12: 143 - 174.
- Liu, G.D., D. Marshall Porterfield, Y.C. Li,and Waldemar Klassen. 2012. Increased Oxygen Bioavailability Improved Vigor and Germination of Aged Vegetable Seeds. HortScience 47(12): 1714-1721.
- Liu, G.D.,Y.C. Li, A. K. Alva, D. M. Porterfield, andJ. Dunlop. 2012. Enhancing nitrogen efficiency of potato and cereal crops by optimizing temperature, moisture, balanced nutrients, and oxygen bioavailability. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 35:428–411, 2012
- Liu, G.D.,Y.C. Li, andA. K. Alva. 2011. Identification of factors most important for ammonia emission from fertilized soils for potato production using principal component analysis. Journal of Sustainable Watershed Science and Management - ISSN 1949-1425. 1: 21-30
- Liu, G. D.,Y. C. Li, R. Muñoz-Carpena, M. Hedgepeth, Y. S. Wan, And R. Roberts. 2011. Growth of Bald Cypress [Taxodium Distichum (L.) Rich.] Seedlings in the Tidal Floodplain of The Loxahatchee River. Florida Scientist. 74: 84- 99.
- Liu, G.D., B. Gu, S.L. Miao, Y.C. Li, K.W. Miliaccio, and Y. Qian. 2010. Phosphorus release from ash and remaining tissues of two wetland species after a prescribed fire. Journal of Environmental Quality. 39:1585–1593
- Y. Ouyang, J. E. Zhang, D. Lin and G.D. Liu. 2010. A STELLA model for the estimation of atrazine runoff, leaching, adsorption, and degradation from an agricultural land.Journal of Soils and Sediments 10: 263-271
- Liu, G.D., D. M. Porterfield, and Y.C. Li. 2009. Genotypic differences in K-efficiency of three-way cross hybrid indica rice. Communications in Soil Sciences and Plant Analysis. 40: 1803-1821. Available Online at: http://pdfserve.informaworld.com/327868_731558421_912057775.pdf
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, M. Hedgepeth, Y. Wan and R.E. Roberts. 2009. Seed germination enhancement for bald cypress (Taxodium distichum [L.] Rich.). J. Horticulture and Forestry 1(2):22-26.
- Liu, G.D., J. Dunlop, T. Phung, and Y. C. Li. 2007. Physiological Responses of Wheat Phosphorus-efficient and -inefficient Genotypes in Field and Effects of Mixing Other Nutrients on Mobilization of Insoluble Phosphates in Hydroponics. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 38: 2239-2256.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. High water regime can reduce ammonia volatilization from soils. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 38: 1203-1220. DOI: 10.1080/00103620701328289.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. Moisture Quotients for Ammonia Volatilization from Four Soils in Potato Production Regions. Water, Air & Soil Pollution. 183: 115-127. DOI: 10.1007/s11270-007-9361-9.
- Liu, G.D., Y.C. Li, and A. K. Alva. 2007. Temperature quotients of ammonia emission of different nitrogen sources applied to four agricultural soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 71:1482-1489. DOI: 10.2136/sssaj2006.0221.
- Liu, G.D., Dunlop James and Phung Thai. 2006. Induction of Root Hair Growth in a Phosphorus-Buffered Culture Solution. Agricultural Sciences in China. 5: 370-376.
- Liao, J., G.D. Liu, and O. Monje and D. M. Porterfield. 2004. Induction of hypoxic root metabolism results from physical limitations in O2 bioavailability in mircogravity. Advances in Space Research. 34: 1579-1584.
- Liu, G.D., R. Mylavarapu, E. Hanlon, and W. C. Lee. 2014. Soil pH Management for Optimum Commercial Fruit Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1234.
- Liu,G.D., Jeffrey Williamson. 2013. What is urea-triazone nitrogen? http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1233
- Liu,G.D.,M. Ozores-Hampton, E. McAvoy, B. Hogue, and C.l Snodgrass. 2013. Application of Surfactants in Commercial Crop Production for Water and Nutrient Management in Sandy Soil.http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1230
- Liu,G.D., Yuncong Li, and Aparna Gazula. 2013. Conversions of Parts per Million on Soil Test Reports to Pounds per Acre. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1229
- J.M. Stephens and D.D. Liu. 2013. Soil Preparation and Liming for Vegetable Gardens. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh024
- B. M. Santos, G. E. Vallad, S. M. Olson, D.D. Liu, E. H. Simonne, M. D. Dukes, L. Zotarelli, J. W. Noling, D. A. Botts, P. J. Dittmar and S. A. Smith. 2013. Vegetable Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/cv/cv10000.pdf
- Liu,G.D., Edward Hanlon, and Yuncong Li. 2012. Understanding and Applying Chelated Fertilizers Effectively Based on Soil pH. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1208
- Liu,G.D. and Edward Hanlon. 2012. Soil pH Range for Optimum Commercial Vegetable Production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1207
- Liu,G.D. and Gene McAvoy. 2012. How to Reduce Clogging Problems in Fertigation. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1202
- Liu,G.D., David Sui, and Gary K. England. 2012.How to Convert Liquid Fertilizer into Dry Fertilizer in Fertigation for Commercial Vegetable and Fruit Crop Production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1200
- Liu,G.D., Jeffrey Williamson, Gary England, and Alicia Whidden. 2012. How to Calculate Fertigation Injection Rates for Commercial Blueberry production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1197
- Asha M. Brunings, G.D. Liu, Eric H. Simonne, Shouan Zhang, Yuncong Li, and Lawrence E. Datnoff. 2012. Are Phosphorous and Phosphoric Acids Equal PhosphorusSources for Plant Growth?http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs254
- G. D. Liu,E. H. Simonne, and G.J. Hochmuth. 2012. Soil and Fertilizer Management for Vegetable Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv101
- M.D. Dukes, L. Zotarelli, G.D. Liu, and E.H. Simonne. 2012. Principles and Practices of Irrigation Management for Vegetables. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv107
- Liu,G.D.,Eric Simonne, and Yuncong Li.2011.Nickel Nutrition of Plants. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1191
- Liu,G.D., Eric H. Simonne, Yuncong Li, Chad M. Hutchinson, Mark Warren and Steven Lands. 2011. Controlled-Release Fertilizer Opportunities and Costs for Potato Production in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs187