|Office:||1211 Fifield Hall|
|For more information, visit Dr.Sargent' s website.|
Professor and Extension Postharvest Specialist
Areas of Research
- Determine methods to reduce quality losses in fresh fruits and vegetables during harvest, handling and storage operations and develop practical handling guidelines.
- Assess changes in such quality parameters as physical, sensory and nutritional components.
- Evaluate effects of currently used and novel treatments (mechanical harvest, cooling, modified/controlled atmospheres, ethylene antagonists, such as 1-methylcyclopropene), on postharvest quality and food safety.
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University (1984)
- M.S., Horticulture, Michigan State University (1979)
- B.S., Horticulture, Michigan State University (1976)
Postharvest Horticulture Tour
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current and projected state of the Florida horticultural industry via regular visits to growing areas and packing/shipping facilities, discussions with county extension faculty and with industry leaders.
- Develop relevant extension materials based on results of my research program and new developments in the scientific literature.
- Develop and present training materials for extension outreach programs statewide; participate upon request/availability at local programs.
Work and International Experiences
- Research Collaborations
- Embrapa Vegetables, Brasilia, 1997 to present, Embrapa Food Technology, Guaratiba Brazil, 1993 to 1995, State University of Campinas (Unicamp), Agricultural Engineering College, Campinas, Brazil, 1998 to 2008
- Extension Collaborations
- Emater-Federal District of Brasilia, 2006 to present
- Emater-Rio Grande do Sul 2010 to 2011
- Invited Talks, Short Courses, Training Programs
- Invited Speaker, August 2012, 16th World Congress of Food Science & Technology. Iguaçu Falls, Brazil.
- Invited Keynote Address, 2009, National Olericulture Congress, Lindoia, SP, Brazil
- Invited Lectures in Brazil, Peru, Mexico, South Korea, China, and Thailand
- Short Courses Offered in Brazil, Peru, Nicaragua, and Portugal
- Student Theses/Dissertation Research: Federal University of Viçosa; Univ. of São Paulo-ESALQ; Unicamp, Campinas
- Visiting Scientists Hosted in My Lab from: Canada, Brazil, India, Korea, and Turkey
- LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
- Fluent in Portuguese and intermediate fluency in Spanish
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Professor, 2010, Universidad del Santa, Food Technology Department, Chimbote, Peru
- Extension Publication Award, Southern Region, American Society for Horticultural Science, 1999, 2003, and 2004
- ESCOP/ACOP Leadership ProgramParticipant, Experiment Station Committee on Organization & Policy
- National Organization of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, 2001-2002 cohort
- Educational Materials Award, Extension Division, American Society for Horticultural Science, 1999 and 2000
- Most Outstanding Research Paper in Vegetable Crops, 1999, American Society for Horticultural Science
- Ulysses P. Hedrick Award, 1999, American Pomological Society, 1st Place Paper, Montealegre, JC, Childers, NC, Sargent, SA, Barros, LM, Alves, RE, 1999, Cashew (Anarcardium occidentale, L.) nut and apple: a review of current production and handling recommendations, Fruit Varieties Journal 53(1):2-9
- Researcher of the Year, 2010, Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association
- International Educator of the Year, IFAS, Sr. Faculty Category, 2010, University of Florida International Center
- The Presidential Gold Medal, 2002 and 2009, Florida State Horticulture Society
- Jim App Award for Outstanding Design Team, 2002, University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service
- Best Paper Award, Florida State Horticultural Society, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008 Meetings)
- Faculty Development Leave, 1993 to1994, University of Florida, Sabbatical year in Guaratiba, Brazil
- Adrian Berry, M.S., Senior Biological Scientist
- Mildred Makani, Ph.D. student (Zimbabwe) - Is currently studying the effects of storage conditions on quality and suberization of fresh market potatoes. In 2003 she received a Plant Science undergraduate degree from the University of Zimbabwe and in 2010 she completed her M.S. degree from the University of Florida involving lenticel development on fresh market potato.
- Ramadhani Majubwa, Ph.D. student (Tanzania)
- a) Books, Co-Authored
- Brecht, J.K., S.A. Sargent, A.A. Kader, E.J. Mitcham, F. Maul, P.E. Brecht and O. Menocal. 2010. Mango Postharvest Best Management Practices Manual. Univ. of Fla. Horticultural Sciences Department, Gainesville. Publ. HS1185. 78 pp. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1185
- Brecht, J.K., S.A. Sargent, A.A. Kader, E.J. Mitcham, F. Maul, P.E. Brecht and O. Menocal. 2010. Manual de Prácticas para el Mejor Manejo Postcosecha del Mango Publ. HS1190. 78 pp. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1190(Spanish translation)
- Merva, G.E. and S.A. Sargent. Problem Analysis and Solution: A Manual for Technical Mathematics. Second Edition. Dept. of Agric. Engineering. Michigan State Univ. East Lansing. 1985. 172 pp.
- b) Books, Contributor of Chapters
- Sargent, S.A. and D.N. Maynard. 2012. Cucurbits. Chapter 14. In, Rees, D., G. Farrell and J. Orchard (Eds.), Crop Post-Harvest: Science and Technology. First Edition. Blackwell Publ., Ltd. West Sussex, UK. pp. 286-316.
- Warren, O. and S.A. Sargent. 2011. Carambola (Averrhoa carambola L.). Chapter 18. In, Yahia, E. (Ed.), Biology & Technology of Tropical and Sub-Tropical Fruits, Vol. 2. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, UK. pp. 397-413.
- Berry, A.D. and S.A. Sargent. 2011. Cashew apple and nut (Anacardium occidentale). Chapter 19. In, Yahia, E. (Ed.), Biology & Technology of Tropical and Sub-Tropical Fruits, Vol. 2. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, UK. pp. 414-422.
- c) Refereed Publications
- Pereira, M.E.C., S.A. Sargent, C.A. Sims, D.J. Huber, J.H. Crane and J.K. Brecht. XXXX. Ripening and sensory analysis of Guatemalan-West Indian hybrid avocado following ethylene pretreatment and/or exposure to gaseous or aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biology and Technology (submitted).
- Reyes-Cabrera, J., L. Zotarelli, D.L. Rowland, M.D. Dukes and S.A. Sargent. XXXX. Drip as alternative irrigationmethod for potato in Florida sandy soils. American Journal of Potato Research (accepted).
- Hurr, B.M., D.J. Huber, C. E. Vallejos, E. Lee and S.A. Sargent. 2013. Ethylene-induced overproduction of reactive oxygen species is responsible for the development of watersoaking in immature cucumber fruit. J. Plant Physiology 170:56-62.
- Pereira, M.E.C.,D.M. Tieman, S.A. Sargent, H.J. Klee, and D.J. Huber. 2013. Volatile profiles of ripening West Indian and Guatemalan-West Indian avocado cultivars as affected by aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biology and Technology. (Accepted for Publication)
- Sugri, I., S.A. Sargent , F. Kusi, A.D. Berry, R.A.L. Kanton and W. Pelletier. 2013. Improving marketable quality of tomato: a simulation of shipping conditions in Ghana. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 3(2):392-402.
- Pereira, M.E.C., S.A. Sargent, C.A. Sims, D.J. Huber, C.L. Moretti and J.H. Crane. 2013. Aqueous 1-MCP extends longevity and does not affect sensory acceptability of Guatemalan-West Indian hybrid avocado. HortTechnology 23(4): 468-473.
- Schiavone, D.F., A.A. Teixeira, R.A. Bucklin and S.A. Sargent. 2013. Design and performance evaluation of a solar convection dryer for drying tropical fruit. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 29(3):391-401.
- Demir, N., A.C.O. Ferraz, S.A. Sargent and M.O. Balaban. 2011. Classification of impacted blueberries during storage using an electronic nose. J. Science of Food & Agriculture 91:1722-1727.
- Moretti, C.L., L.M. Mattos, A.G. Calbo and S.A. Sargent. 2010. Climate changes and potential impacts on postharvest quality of fruit and vegetable crops: A review. Food Research International 43:1824-1832.
- d) Non-refereed Papers
- Bonicet, A.J., S.A. Sargent and A. Teixeira. 2012. Adoption of plastic field crates to reduce mechanical injuries in postharvest handling of Haitian mango. Proceedings Florida State Horticulture Society 125:260-263.
- Nunes, M.C.N., A.M.M.B. Morais, J.K. Brecht, S.A. Sargent, J.A. Bartz, R.A. Allen, J.H. Lee, D.M. Pires and J. Pittet-Moore. 2012. Occurrence of gray mold in stored strawberry fruit as affected by ripeness, temperature, and atmosphere. Proceedings Florida State Horticulture Society 125:287-294.
- Huang, P.W., B.M. Santos, V.M. Whitaker, C.D. Stanley, and S.A. Sargent. 2012. Performance of Florida-produced containerized strawberry transplants. Proceedings Florida State Horticulture Society 125:147-149.
- Jacomino, A.P., S.A. Sargent, A.D. Berry, and J.K. Brecht. 2011. Potential for Grading, Sanitizing, and Hydrocooling Fresh Strawberries. Proc. Florida State Hort. Soc.124:221-226.
- Brecht, J.K. and S.A. Sargent. 2011. Bell pepper bruising increases with lower temperature and higher turgidity. Proc. Florida State Hort. Soc.124-2256-259.
- Berry, A.D. and S.A. Sargent. 2010. Effect Of Postharvest Application Of 1-MCP On Basil Shoot Quality During Storage At Chilling Temperature. Proc. Florida State Hort. Society. Paper HP20.
- Santos, B.M., T.P. Salamé-Donoso, C.K. Chandler and S.A. Sargent. 2010.Protected Culture for Vegetable and Small Fruit Crops: High Tunnels for Strawberry Production in Florida. EDIS Publ. HS1162. University of Florida/IFAS, Gainesville. 8 pp.
- Sargent, S.A. and D.D. Treadwell. 2009. Guide for Maintaining Quality During Harvest and Handling of Organic Vegetables and Melons. EDIS Publication HS1148. University of Florida/IFAS, Gainesville.
- Treadwell, D.D., G.J. Hochmuth, R.C. Hochmuth, E.H. Simonne, S.A. Sargent, L.L. Davis, W.L. Laughlin, A.D. Berry. 2011. Organic Fertilization Programs for Greenhouse Fresh-cut Basil and Spearmint in a Soilless Media Trough System. HortTechnology 21(2):162-169.
- Brecht, J.K., Sargent, S.A., Kader, A.A., Mitcham, E.A., Maul, F., Brecht, P.E., and Menocal, O. 2011. Manual de Practicas Postcosecha del Mango. Brecht, J. K. (ed.), HS1190. National Mango Board and UF/IFAS, Gainesville, FL.
- Moretti, C.L., L.M. Mattos, A.G. Calbo, S.A. Sargent. 2010. Climate changes and potential impacts on postharvest quality of fruit and vegetable crops: A review. Food Research International 43(7): 1824-1832.
- Salame-Donoso, T.P., B. M. Santos, C. K. Chandler, S.A. Sargent. 2010. Effect of high tunnels on the growth, yields, and soluble solids of strawberry cultivars in Florida. International Journal of Fruit Science 10(3): 249-263
- Brecht, J.K., Sargent, S.A., Kader, A.A., Mitcham, E.A., Maul, F., Brecht, P.E., and Menocal, O. 2010. Mango Postharvest Best Management Practices Manual. Brecht, J. K. (ed.), HS1185. National Mango Board and UF/IFAS, Gainesville, FL.