Ever enjoy a juicy, red tomato during the month of December or January? It’s all thanks to growers in Florida.
Florida is the major producer of fresh vegetable and fruit crops during the winter months, and ranks #1in the U.S. for several fruit and vegetable crops.
Our crop production and management research programs focus on several challenges to fruit and vegetable production, including irrigation and nutrition application efficiency, sustainable crop production, and implementation of “best management practices”.
Find out more about our research programs in crop production and management below.
- Pete Andersen – Cultivar evaluations; whole plant physiology in peanut crops; plant-insect-disease interactions
- Jonathan Crane – Tropical fruit production systems, fertilizer and nutrition practices, improvement of off-season fruit production
- Barrett Gruber – Citrus horticulture; citrus production systems
- Guodong “David” Liu – Nutrient Eco-management; nutrient management in fruit and vegetable crops
- Mercy Olmstead – Stone fruit production; wine grape production; nutrition management for orchard systems
- Steve Olson – Vegetable crop production systems; fertilization practices
- Monica Ozores-Hampton – Vegetable production systems; transplant production and stand establishment; composting
- Robert Rouse – Citrus horticulture
- Bielinski Santos – Vegetable and small fruit horticulture; optimizing fertilizer practices; protected agriculture; hydroponics
- Timothy Spann – Citrus horticulture; increasing production efficiency; horticultural practices for management of citrus greening disease
- Peter Stoffella – Impact of composts on production systems, inorganic nutrient substitutes, reduction of leaching in vegetable systems
- Danielle Treadwell – Field and greenhouse specialty crop production, cover crops, sustainable agriculture, reduced tillage, organic vegetable production, small farms, farm to school
- Jeffrey Williamson – Small fruit horticulture; improving efficiency of small fruit production
- Xin Zhao- Organic and sustainable vegetable production; vegetable grafting.
- Lincoln Zotarelli – Vegetable production systems, focusing on potatoes